Re: Fun with proof by analogy, was Re: Mojibake on my Web pages

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Fri Sep 26 2003 - 09:08:37 EDT

    On 26/09/2003 05:33, John Cowan wrote:

    >Peter Kirk scripsit:
    >

    >>Since there is plenty of good and free browser software available which
    >>does support UTF-8, perhaps servers should start assuming that browsers
    >>can support it, and that will gently encourage software vendors and
    >>users to upgrade.
    >>

    >Alas, we are in a cleft stick: almost all users are now using a
    >browser that is not going to be upgraded, short of replacing their
    >operating system.

    Almost all users of what? This isn't true of Windows, and for better or
    for worse the majority of all browser users use Windows. Windows, at
    least 98+, nags you to upgrade to the latest version of IE whether you
    want to or not - which is annoying on my old PC which hasn't got the
    disk space for IE6. Mozilla also nags you to upgrade, so it's not just a
    Microsoft thing. And probably most users of non-Windows systems are
    either reasonably computer literate or are supported by IT departments
    which should do the upgrade.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)