Re: Fun with proof by analogy, was Re: Mojibake on my Web pages

From: John Cowan (cowan@mercury.ccil.org)
Date: Fri Sep 26 2003 - 08:33:25 EDT

    Peter Kirk scripsit:

    > Since there is plenty of good and free browser software available which
    > does support UTF-8, perhaps servers should start assuming that browsers
    > can support it, and that will gently encourage software vendors and
    > users to upgrade.

    Alas, we are in a cleft stick: almost all users are now using a
    browser that is not going to be upgraded, short of replacing their
    operating system.

    > Anyway, isn't this the way W3C standards are going? I thought they were
    > moving to XML compatibility which implies UTF-8 support. Browsers which
    > can't support the latest W3C standards will surely become obsolete very
    > quickly.

    Technically obsolete does not mean dead.

    --
    I don't know half of you half as well           John Cowan
    as I should like, and I like less than half     jcowan@reutershealth.com