re: History of Unicoding Hebrew

From: Elaine Keown (elaine_keown@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Sep 26 2003 - 11:41:22 EDT

              Elaine Keown
              Bryan, Texas

    Hello:

    After *today*, please reply off-list.
    I am now reading Unicode archives on the web and
    joining the list for 24 hours.

    >From: Dean Snyder (dean.snyder@jhu.edu)
    >Date: Tue Sep 16 2003 - 16:03:36 EDT

    >Can anyone point me to documentation on the history
    >of Hebrew in Unicode? Origins, people, meetings,
    >controversies, proposals, timeline,
    >relationship to encoding Arabic, etc. I couldn't

    There is general information on the history of
    computerizing Hebrew , starting in 1959, in my
    published article "Hebrew alphabets, symbols, and
    computer codes," Revue des Etudes Juives, Jan/Jun
    2002. The article contains diverse errors (I have NO
    affiliation with any group whatsoever at UPenn) and is
    an older, simpler version of my research.

    The article covers what are, unfortunately, two
    separate histories:
    1) public Hebrew standards
    2) private, academic efforts to computerize pointed
    Hebrew

    In addition, it gives a list with documentation of the
    complete, "extended" Hebrew character set.

    I was told third-hand that in the late 1980s some
    prominent technical people from the SBL (Society of
    Biblical Literature) tried to communicate with Unicode
    about their private academic Hebrew code, which
    contained most of the marks we are currently arguing
    about. I was also told that they were ignored by
    whomever they contacted.

    Elaine