Re: Fun with proof by analogy, was Re: Mojibake on my Web pages

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Fri Sep 26 2003 - 12:52:44 EDT

    On 26/09/2003 06:16, John Cowan wrote:

    >Peter Kirk scripsit:
    >

    >>Almost all users of what? This isn't true of Windows, and for better or
    >>for worse the majority of all browser users use Windows. Windows, at
    >>least 98+, nags you to upgrade to the latest version of IE whether you
    >>want to or not - which is annoying on my old PC which hasn't got the
    >>disk space for IE6.
    >>

    >True. But whatever isn't fixed in IE6 won't be fixed at all -- no more
    >upgrades (except, presumably, security-related ones) after that.
    >Microsoft has said so.

    Well, looks like Microsoft won the browser wars and nearly killed off
    Netscape only to hand over their victory on a plate to whoever feels
    like taking the prize. Mozilla will be stepping up to take it. The
    problem is that this victory is expensive, and doesn't bring revenue
    because people have got used to browsers being free.

    But to come back to the issue, IE6 has adequate support for UTF-8 and
    many other encodings, so this is no excuse for not serving web pages in
    UTF-8.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)