Re: Internal Representation of Unicode

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Sep 30 2003 - 14:01:26 EDT

    At 11:15 AM 9/30/03 -0400, John Cowan wrote:
    >Isaac Newton spent an unconscionable amount
    >of time, by our standards, messing about with astrology and numerology

    One of the aspects of character encoding and standardization that seems to
    have an unholy fascination for people is its numerical aspect. It starts
    with the catalog number for 10646, which was deliberately jiggered to
    incorporate the number 646, which is the catalog number for the 7-bit
    standards. It continues with the desire to see certain characters are
    specific code locations (for example the byte order mark) and continues
    with the never-ending stream of (re-)encoding forms.

    It's just human nature, I guess.

    A./