Re: [OT] Adelphia mojibake problem solved

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Wed Oct 15 2003 - 09:11:29 CST

Philippe Verdy <verdy_p at wanadoo dot fr> wrote:

> The standard default setting is normally:
> AddType "text/html" html
> without a charset indicator.
>
> With this setting, you are forcing _all_ HTML pages to be declared
> with UTF-8. If this is true for your site, then that's good. But if
> you need to have some pages declared differently (for example when
> showing sample pages encoded with "shift_jis"), you'll get another
> similar problem...

Not a problem for me. I'm committed to using Unicode. And while there
are some interesting sites out there that present the same information
in different encodings (so you can see, for example, which font your
browser chooses), mine won't be one of them.

> I don't know which webserver they use,

Apache 2.0

> but recent versions of Apache can read and interpret the content of
> HTML pages to autodetect the UTF forms or use the <meta http-equiv>
> tags to set or change additional HTTP headers, according to what
> authors desired on their pages. Same thing for XML files that are sent
> according to the charset found in the leading XML declaration line.

IF the administrators don't sabotage the whole deal by including the
line "AddDefaultCharset ISO-8859-1". Contrary to the normal meaning of
"default," this option apparently forces ALL pages to be served as ISO
8859-1, including XHTML pages like mine that specify UTF-8 in both the
XML declaration AND in the <meta http-equiv> tag. Even adding a U+FEFF
signature wasn't enough to convince Apache that the page was UTF-8
(though it did convince Internet Explorer).

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/