Re: [OT] Adelphia mojibake problem solved

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed Oct 15 2003 - 01:49:52 CST

From: "Doug Ewell" <dewell@adelphia.net>
> Thanks to the advice of Unicode list members, I finally added the
> necessary setting to my Web site that overrides Adelphia's blind
> propensity to serve all pages, even correctly tagged UTF-8 pages, as ISO
> 8859-1. So my site is back in working order, with all non-Basic Latin
> characters displaying properly.
>
> Following the advice provided by James Kass and Richard Ishida, I added
> a file called .htaccess that contains the following line:
>
> AddType "text/html; charset=UTF-8" html
>
> (The double quotes here apparently work as well as Richard's suggested
> single quotes.) I didn't even have to petition Adelphia for any special
> FileInfo permission, which is a good thing.

The standard default setting is normally:
     AddType "text/html" html
without a charset indicator.

With this setting, you are forcing _all_ HTML pages to be declared with
UTF-8.
If this is true for your site, then that's good. But if you need to have
some pages
declared differently (for example when showing sample pages encoded with
"shift_jis"), you'll get another similar problem...

I don't know which webserver they use, but recent versions of Apache can
read
and interpret the content of HTML pages to autodetect the UTF forms or use
the <meta http-equiv> tags to set or change additional HTTP headers,
according
to what authors desired on their pages. Same thing for XML files that are
sent
according to the charset found in the leading XML declaration line.