From: Philippe Verdy (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Date: Wed Oct 15 2003 - 01:49:52 CST
From: "Doug Ewell" <email@example.com>
> Thanks to the advice of Unicode list members, I finally added the
> necessary setting to my Web site that overrides Adelphia's blind
> propensity to serve all pages, even correctly tagged UTF-8 pages, as ISO
> 8859-1. So my site is back in working order, with all non-Basic Latin
> characters displaying properly.
> Following the advice provided by James Kass and Richard Ishida, I added
> a file called .htaccess that contains the following line:
> AddType "text/html; charset=UTF-8" html
> (The double quotes here apparently work as well as Richard's suggested
> single quotes.) I didn't even have to petition Adelphia for any special
> FileInfo permission, which is a good thing.
The standard default setting is normally:
AddType "text/html" html
without a charset indicator.
With this setting, you are forcing _all_ HTML pages to be declared with
If this is true for your site, then that's good. But if you need to have
declared differently (for example when showing sample pages encoded with
"shift_jis"), you'll get another similar problem...
I don't know which webserver they use, but recent versions of Apache can
and interpret the content of HTML pages to autodetect the UTF forms or use
the <meta http-equiv> tags to set or change additional HTTP headers,
to what authors desired on their pages. Same thing for XML files that are
according to the charset found in the leading XML declaration line.
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.5 : Thu Jan 18 2007 - 15:54:24 CST