From: Doug Ewell (email@example.com)
Date: Tue Oct 14 2003 - 23:56:53 CST
Thanks to the advice of Unicode list members, I finally added the
necessary setting to my Web site that overrides Adelphia's blind
propensity to serve all pages, even correctly tagged UTF-8 pages, as ISO
8859-1. So my site is back in working order, with all non-Basic Latin
characters displaying properly.
Following the advice provided by James Kass and Richard Ishida, I added
a file called .htaccess that contains the following line:
AddType "text/html; charset=UTF-8" html
(The double quotes here apparently work as well as Richard's suggested
single quotes.) I didn't even have to petition Adelphia for any special
FileInfo permission, which is a good thing.
I strongly suggest to Adelphia that they make information about this
workaround available to any other customers who experience similar
problems with "garbage characters."
Three cheers to Martin Dürst, James, and Richard for their expert help;
thanks to the Adelphia CS people who tried their best to help; one big
raspberry to the rep who called me back saying they wouldn't pursue a
solution because I was the only one who had complained.
Sorry for the mostly OT post, but at least the problem was related to my
use of UTF-8.
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.5 : Thu Jan 18 2007 - 15:54:24 CST