Re: Canonical equivalence in rendering: mandatory or recommended?

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Thu Oct 16 2003 - 18:00:40 CST

On 16/10/2003 16:13, Peter Constable wrote:

>>I have heard that your new company
>>has tried it and has claimed that for Hebrew the performance hit is
>>unacceptable. I am still sceptical of this claim.
>>

>Well, you're more than welcome to create an implementation that
>demonstrates otherwise and share it with us :-).

I am already in discussions about getting this added to Graphite (see
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&cat_id=RenderingGraphite
an open source rendering engine which you know well. You are free to
incorporate it into your company's products.

>>Presumably this was
>>done by adding a reordering step to an existing rendering engine. But
>>was this reordering properly optimised in binary code, or was it just
>>bolted on to an unsuitable architecture using a high level language
>>designed for the different purpose of glyph level reordering?
>>

>I don't know the details; I suspect it was done within a finite-state
>machine.

Doesn't sound to me like an efficient way to do a sort.

--
Peter Kirk
peter@qaya.org (personal)