Re: Klingons and their allies - Beyond 17 planes

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Fri Oct 17 2003 - 07:31:37 CST

At 11:00 +0100 2003-10-17, Jill Ramonsky wrote:

>The reason that the Klingon alphabet is not currently part of
>Unicode is that the Klingon Language Institute submitted a proposal
>for the Klingon script to the Unicode Consortium,

That isn't true. It was *I* who submitted the proposal.

>and the Unicode consortium rejected it. I have been unable to fathom
>their reasons.

It was rejected because the people who read and write Klingon don't
actually use the script. Thus:

>The fact is that Klingon language publications, by and large, use
>the Romanized transcription presented in The Klingon Dictionary.
>This is arguably a chicken-and-egg situation, but nobody argued that
>point successfully to the relevant Unicode committees.

It is not a chicken-and-egg situation. Were the Klingon Dictionary
reissued without Latin orthography, and were articles in HolQeD
regularly written in Klingon script, one might well take notice. CSUR
gives an encoding which can be used; we have yet to see it being used!

>More codepoints may allow more scripts not to be rejected in the first place.

Space is not why Klingon was not accepted.