RE: unicode on Linux

From: Shao, Yiying (yiying.shao@intel.com)
Date: Mon Oct 20 2003 - 14:31:49 CST

Thanks for your info.

>>Just wondering if anybody knowss how unicode is on Linux?
>>
>Very good support. Default charset for recent versions of some popular
distributions.

What are those popular distributions and which version?

>>On Red Hat Linux, if UTF-8 is not made as the default encoding for Chnese/Japanese/Korean, what it is using for those double byte languages?

>The old multi-byte character sets.

So, how should I implement my code? Do I have to say if this is Japanese (for example), convert the unicode (UTF-8) to multi-byte character? That seems very painful.

>>Does later Red Had Linux makes the UTF-8 the default encoding for them?

AFAIK only if you manually set it to a UTF-8 locale, e.g.
LANG=zh-CN.UTF-8. Notice, though, that some older software will not be
aware of this change, so many characters will not be displayed properly.

So, is this setting available from Red Hat 8.0 or later? Also, you mean some old version of Linux may not aware of this setting?

Besides, do you happen to know ICU from IBM? Does it take care of the unicode problems with double byte language for Linux?

Thanks,
Yiying

>Just wondering if anybody knowss how unicode is on Linux?

Very good support. Default charset for recent versions of some popular
distributions.

>Is unicode ready for all language, including double byte languages, on Red Hat and SuSe?

Yes.

>On Red Hat Linux, if UTF-8 is not made as the default encoding for Chnese/Japanese/Korean, what it is using for those double byte languages?

The old multi-byte character sets.

>Does later Red Had Linux makes the UTF-8 the default encoding for them?

AFAIK only if you manually set it to a UTF-8 locale, e.g.
LANG=zh-CN.UTF-8. Notice, though, that some older software will not be
aware of this change, so many characters will not be displayed properly.

Stefan