Re: Merging combining classes, was: New contribution N2676

From: Ted Hopp (ted.hopp@newslate.com)
Date: Sun Oct 26 2003 - 16:52:31 CST

On Sunday, October 26, 2003 3:51 PM, Jony Rosenne wrote:

> While the current combining classes may cause some difficulties for
> Biblical scholars (and this isn't cut and dry yet - it isn't certain
> whether these are Unicode problem, implementation problems,
> missing characters or mis-identified characters), I have yet to see a
> claimed problem with pointed Hebrew - I mean just the points,
> without cantillation marks, as used for non-Biblical texts.

I assume you mean that you have yet to see a claimed problem with pointed
Hebrew that is based on the combining class assignments. Otherwise, there is
the problem of distinguishing between vav haluma and holam male, for one.

Ted

Ted Hopp, Ph.D.
ZigZag, Inc.
ted.hopp@newSLATE.com
+1-301-990-7453

newSLATE is your personal learning workspace
   ...on the web at http://www.newSLATE.com/