Re: Merging combining classes, was: New contribution N2676

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Sun Oct 26 2003 - 21:58:28 CST

At 07:45 PM 10/26/2003, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:

>I remembered there was a lot of discussion about this case, which is why I
>brought it up. Can someone remind me why ZWNBSP would be Bad for
>this? Wrong RTL coding? (possibly, but it's weak, isn't it) Wrongly
>indicates a word-break? (this is probably a problem.)

Yes, ZWNBSP is a word space character; not something one wants in the
middle of a word.

Functionally, inserting a CGJ here resolves the problem fine. I'm just not
convinced that CGJ is a good general solution to the normalisation problem:
it works, but it requires deliberate insertion in every place where
unwanted mark re-ordering may occur. If I have some free time over the next
while, I'll try to figure out just how many places in the Bible text this
would be needed: I suspect it is quite a lot. Of course, if you insert
automatically CGJ after every mark, you are are sure that re-ordering will
not take place, but you also lose any benefit of normalisation.

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

I sometimes think that good readers are as singular,
and as awesome, as great authors themselves.
                                       - JL Borges