RE: unicode on Linux

From: Shao, Yiying (yiying.shao@intel.com)
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 10:59:10 CST

Thanks for your info. What I really trying to do is:

*Using ICU, which uses UTF-16, to handle all strings for cross platform localization.

*since UTF-8 is the default locale for Red Hat Linux, so I need to convert the strings from UTF-16 to UTF-8. But UTF-8 is not the default locale for CJK. So, on CJK, I need to set UTF-8 as the default locale, the converted UFT-8 can still work with CJK.

*Or there may be other better ways to do this? If it is possible to find out the current default locale encoding (such as UTF-16, UTF-8, multi-byte and etc.) at run time for an App, then according the current locale, do the correct conversions? ICU provides rich conversion utilities. This way, I can guaranty that my App will work properly and will not screw up other Apps on the same system.

Thanks,
Yiying