Re: Hacek - Typing from a keyboard... Help!!!!

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed Oct 29 2003 - 12:32:51 CST

From: "Toyin Ryan" <Toyin.Ryan@morganstanley.com>
To: "Philippe Verdy" <verdy_p@wanadoo.fr>; <unicode@unicode.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 6:11 PM
Subject: Re: Hacek - Typing from a keyboard... Help!!!!

> Thank you Philippe. The characters you detailed below only seem to work in
Word.
> They don't work in DBArtisan or netscape messenger or outlook. Do you have
> anymore ideas?

If these characters that are basic to ISO-8859-2 are not supported, there's
little chance that your DBArtisan will support the equivalent decomposition.

I do think that there may exist a setting in DBArtisan that allows you to
specify that the SQL strings you send to its library are to be treated as
ISO-8859-2 at least, and Sybase will do the rest to transcode it to Unicode
on reception, provided that your Sybase database was created with Unicode
and not ISO-8859-1 (that's what I suspect, and in that case you have no way
to store and retreive these characters reliably)...