Re: GSM and Unicode

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed Nov 05 2003 - 05:49:05 EST

    From: "John Delacour" <JD@BD8.COM>

    > At 3:48 pm -0500 4/11/03, YTang0648@aol.com wrote:
    > > In a message dated 11/4/2003 12:27:04 PM Pacific Standard Time,
    > > verdy_p@wanadoo.fr writes:
    > >

    > > GSM charsets are mostly from MES-1,etc
    >
    > This styled message contained (thanks to Microsoft) this line in the head:
    >
    > > <META charset=UTF-8 http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html;
    > > charset=utf-8">
    >
    > So far as I can tell, this is gibberish and ought to be
    >
    > > <META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
    >
    > My browser seems to agree with me, but I await correction.

    That's normal: in HTML 4- (but not in XML or XHTML) attributes are accepted
    without quotes, in some limits. Also the letter case of attribute names
    (like element names) is not significant, and in both HTML and XML the order
    of attributes is never significant.

    So the only strange thing in this header is the presence of the
    'charset=UTF-8' extra attribute in the meta element. I don't know for which
    browser or mail reader this is included, as it is normally set within the
    value of the 'content' attribute when the 'http-equiv' attribute is set to
    "Content-Type" (case not significant for this value). It is extremely
    probable that this non standard extension 'charset' attribute name is
    ignored, so the value specified for the standard 'content' attribute name
    takes precedence.