Re: elided base character or obliterated character (was: Hebrew composition model, with cantillation marks)

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Wed Nov 05 2003 - 11:36:29 EST

    At 03:24 AM 11/5/2003, Philippe Verdy wrote:

    >The obliterated character needed for paleolitic studies, or to encode any
    >texts in which the character is not recognizable already exists: isn't it
    >the REPLACEMENT CHARACTER?
    >
    >Such base character should be rendered with a spacing glyph (for example a
    >circle filled with a grey pattern, or the rounded box with oblique hatches
    >that we sometimes see in charts) It is not the same as the missing letter
    >which is not there because of alteration of the source document.

    I think this is a typographical decision, so perhaps a glyph issue.
    Personally, there is no way I'd let a rounded box with oblique hatches
    anywhere near any scholarly work that I was typesetting. :)

    JH

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    I sometimes think that good readers are as singular,
    and as awesome, as great authors themselves.
                                           - JL Borges