Re: UTF-16 inside UTF-8

From: YTang0648@aol.com
Date: Wed Nov 05 2003 - 17:20:11 EST

    In a message dated 11/5/2003 2:03:37 PM Pacific Standard Time,
    dewell@adelphia.net writes:
    I don't know about the relative market needs. I think supplementary
    character support is important because these characters are part of
    Unicode just as much as BMP characters are,
    And don't forget, many people think some of the BMP characters are not
    important for their software. And that is probably the exact reason why MES-1, MES-2
    and MES-3 got created. For Front-End software, it is quite difficult, or I
    should say impossible to support even the whole BMP. I crrently see NO front-end
    software 100% support the whole Unicode BMP correctly from input to
    rendering. Name me one and I can tell you what they didn't do.
    For back end software which do pure data process without keyboard input or
    text rendering, it is eaiser to implement the whole Unicode BMP range or even
    with the surrogate.
    and implementing UTF-8
    support for the entire Unicode code space is about 0.1% harder than
    artificially crippling it by restricting it to the BMP.
    Disagree about what you said "about 0.1 % harder".

    For many developers, adding 4 bytes UTF-8 to surrogate support simply mean
    open a can of worm. After that, they need to worry about how to support
    surrogate, which is quite complex in the api design/change. The work to make the
    converter convert UTF-8 to a surrogate pair and back is probably as you said "0.1
    harder". But work AFTER they open such door is much harder to manage. As the
    famouse saying "Unicode is not the answer for Internationalization, Unicode is
    the question for the Internationalization". Thanks for all the job opportunity
    Unicode standard created (and keep creating) of us :)

    -Doug Ewell
    Fullerton, California
    http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/

    ==================================
    Frank Yung-Fong Tang
    System Architect, Iñtërnâtiônàl Dèvélôpmeñt, AOL Intèrâçtívë Sërviçes
    AIM:yungfongta mailto:ytang0648@aol.com Tel:650-937-2913
    Yahoo! Msg: frankyungfongtan

    John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that
    whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

    Does your software display Thai language text correctly for Thailand users?
    -> Basic Conceptof Thai Language linked from Frank Tang's
    Iñtërnâtiônàlizætiøn Secrets
    Want to translate your English text to something Thailand users can
    understand ?
    -> Try English-to-Thai machine translation at
    http://c3po.links.nectec.or.th/parsit/