Re: [hebrew] Re: ZWJ, ZWNJ, CGJ and combination

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Sun Nov 09 2003 - 17:25:09 EST

    On 09/11/2003 14:04, Philippe Verdy wrote:

    >From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk@qaya.org>
    >

    >>>A starter sequence (defective or not) is then an unordered set of
    >>>

    >sequences
    >

    >>>of characters having the same combining class. The relative order of each
    >>>element of this set has no semantic value, and does not influence the
    >>>canonical equivalence of strings. On the opposite, the relative order of
    >>>characters that make each element of this set is significant.
    >>>

    >>You ignore the case of multiple combining characters in the same class
    >>in the sequence.
    >>

    >Not at all ! May be with supplementary markup of my sentence
    >it will be more clear:
    > A "starter sequence" (defective or not) is then an
    > _unordered_ set of {
    > _ordered_ sequences of {
    > characters having the same combining class
    > }
    > }.
    >Then look at where I used the term "set" defined by this sentence, and the
    >term "element" refers to element of the unordered set, i.e. the "ordered
    >sequence of characters having the same combining class".

    OK, this time you are right and I am wrong; although your definition
    does not include all canonically equivalent orderings of your "starter
    sequence" because it excludes ones in which a combining character in
    class b is ordered between two of class a, a not equal to b.

    >And no, I did not mix lists. The initial thread was in the main Unicode list
    >as it is a generic problem not specific to Hebrew, but to terminologic and
    >definition problems.

    This time you did, by sending to the main list your reply to my posting
    to the Hebrew list.

    For once only I am sending this to both lists, as my incorrect statement
    to one list was cross-posted to the other one and so needs to be
    corrected on both lists.

    In future I will try to keep postings about general issues on the
    general list and postings going into Hebrew specifics on the Hebrew
    list. I hope those who reply to such postings will reflect my intentions
    and not cross-post what I have written without permission (though I have
    no problem with short quotes from one list on the other one).

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)