RE: Hexadecimal digits?

From: Kent Karlsson (kentk@cs.chalmers.se)
Date: Mon Nov 10 2003 - 06:45:18 EST

    Jill Ramonsky wrote:
    > My question went unanswered, so I'll ask it again - do I get a vote?

    Not from me anyway. And I'm not too worried, this kind of proposal has
    been rejected on very good grounds before... So I would guess the
    proposal
    has zero chance/risk of being accepted.

    > myself a relevant interested party, someone who belives that hex FFFF
    > should collate before hex 10000 in a "natural sort".

    All ordering of numerals (non-empty *sequences* of digits) in numeric
    order requires something extra, in addition to an implementation of the
    UCA or 14651. Like prehandling. A prehandling for this can handle
    hexadecimal instead of decimal, and may even use decimal for some
    numerals (e.g. in one column) and hexadecimal for some other numerals
    (e.g. in another column), or indeed roman numerals (e.g. in yet another
    column, and mostly written with "ASCII letters").

    (Yes, I also believe that -2 comes before -1... But I'm not about to
    propose negative digit characters, neither decimal nor hexadecimal.)

            /kent k