RE: Citing TUS generically

From: Francois Yergeau (FYergeau@alis.com)
Date: Fri Nov 14 2003 - 20:23:13 EST

    John Cowan wrote:
    > I need to write a normative reference to the
    > Unicode Standard without specifying any particular
    > version for inclusion in XML 1.1.

    The W3C's Character Model (http://www.w3.org/TR/charmod) attempts to do this
    as follows:

    [Unicode]
        The Unicode Consortium, The Unicode Standard, Version 3, ISBN
    0-201-61633-5, as updated from time to time by the publication of new
    versions. (See http://www.unicode.org/unicode/standard/versions for the
    latest version and additional information on versions of the standard and of
    the Unicode Character Database).

    Of course by now the base version should be updated to 4.0, unless you have
    a particular reason to stick to an older one.

    Charmod section 9 "Referencing the Unicode Standard and ISO/IEC 10646" also
    suggests another way to do that:

    "2. By including a specific entry in the bibliography and adding text such
    as "... as it may from time to time be revised or amended" at the point of
    reference in the body of the specification."

    --
    François