Re: How can I input any Unicode character if I know its hexadecimal code?

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Sat Nov 15 2003 - 12:40:28 EST

    From: "Philippe Verdy" <verdy_p@wanadoo.fr>

    > May be that's something to suggest to Microsoft for inclusion in a future
    > version of its wonderful MSKLB tool,

    You mean MSKLC? I hope the "B" in your exposition stands for "Bodacious" or
    something....

    > which works great to create keyboard
    > drivers for alphabet/abjad scripts that use dead keys and AltrGr (or
    > Alt+Ctrl on US keyboards),

    Have you tried the Right "Alt" key on such a keyboard? It acts as an AltGr
    based on the layout, whether it says AltGr or not. Check out the help
    file....

    > but cannot be used to create complex input
    > methods, where it is impractical to use dead keys (also in Hebrew and
    Arabic
    > for vowel points and marks which should better be entered with a logical
    > order after the base letter, even if they produce combining sequences to
    the
    > application through the WM_CHAR event).

    What are you talking about? Both the built in Hebrew keyboard and any
    keyboard you create can handle all of this just fine, and DO. Dead keys
    would be inappropriate, so its great that they do not use dead keys here --
    you type the base letter than if you need a vowel or a point you type that.

    > The <AltGr+x+Unicode hex code point> keystroke sequence could be added to
    > the existing support of <AltrGr+0+ANSI decimal code> and <AltGr+OEM
    decimal
    > code> keystrokes... and featured in a update for all supported keyboard
    > drivers for Windows.

    Nice when people who have not looked at the source can talk about what could
    be added. :-)

    One has to be careful about how much system support is added for things like
    this, as there are those who use keystrokes for their own purposes that can
    interfere. Others have noticed that such features seem to fade in and out
    from time to time as they are attempted.

    > Of course, other complex input methods like the ones for Chinese, Japanese
    > or Korean

    You mean input method editors (IMEs)?

    > (and possibly also for the input method for Vietnamese, unless the
    > MSKLB

    MSKLC!

    > tool can handle less restricted stateful tables with more than one
    > dead key) will still need a specific IME development with the additional
    > support of a GUI input window allowing searches and selection of
    ideographs.

    Yes, IMEs can be developed. also note that for Vietnamese there is a
    built-in keyboard that works -- have you tried it to type Vietnamese text?

    MichKa