Re: Apple supports Cherokee

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sun Nov 16 2003 - 14:07:05 EST

    Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

    > I am pleased to announce that Mac OS 10.3 (Panther) is now shipping
    > two Cherokee keyboard layouts (one ergonomic, one QWERTY-based) as
    > well as Tiro's lovely font Plantagenet in support of the Cherokee
    > language.

    Will Apple be publishing the details of these keyboard layouts, and will
    they be free for reproduction on other platforms?

    Reason being, I implemented two Cherokee keyboard layouts for SC UniPad
    <http://www.unipad.org> in early 2002:

    - one supported by the Cherokee Nation of Tahlequah, Oklahoma (this is
    now included with the UniPad distribution)

    - one listed on the Web site of the Cherokee Tribe of Northeast Alabama
    and based on a public-domain font (available as an add-in)

    The problem was that neither keyboard had emerged as a clear "standard"
    among users of Cherokee (if indeed there are enough users for a standard
    to emerge). So I'd be interested in seeing which layouts Apple adopted,
    and whether they should be made available for UniPad if they differ from
    what it's already got.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/