Re: Apple supports Cherokee

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Sun Nov 16 2003 - 15:42:00 EST

    At 11:07 -0800 2003-11-16, Doug Ewell wrote:
    >Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:
    >
    > > I am pleased to announce that Mac OS 10.3 (Panther) is now shipping
    >> two Cherokee keyboard layouts (one ergonomic, one QWERTY-based) as
    >> well as Tiro's lovely font Plantagenet in support of the Cherokee
    >> language.
    >
    >Will Apple be publishing the details of these keyboard layouts,

    That would be a question for Apple.

    >and will they be free for reproduction on other platforms?

    Do you think that keyboard layouts are proprietary?

    >Reason being, I implemented two Cherokee keyboard layouts for SC UniPad
    ><http://www.unipad.org> in early 2002 [....] The problem was that
    >neither keyboard had emerged as a clear "standard" among users of
    >Cherokee (if indeed there are enough users for a standard to
    >emerge). So I'd be interested in seeing which layouts Apple
    >adopted, and whether they should be made available for UniPad if
    >they differ from what it's already got.

    I supplied the layouts to Apple. One was based on the ergonomic
    keyboard used by the Cherokee nation of Tahlequah. The other is a
    QWERTY-based layout of my own devising with which I find that
    Cherokee can be typed rather quickly and accurately. I did not
    implement Joan Sarah Touzet's layout, though of course if it turns
    out that it is needed an implementation could be configured.