Digest doesn't display unicode properly?

From: Theodore H. Smith (delete@elfdata.com)
Date: Thu Nov 20 2003 - 23:43:53 EST

    I see a lot of garbage characters in the unicode digest.

    The same emails, however, display fine when emailed to me directly,
    (although I can't understand them sometimes ;o) but someone who speaks
    the correct language would).

    Is this a problem with my mailer, or the unicode digest program? I
    suppose the unicode digest should be responsible, for converting the
    emails, into UTF8 before merging. Even if the original seperate emails
    were in UTF16, or ISO-whatever, or Shift JIS, etc etc.

    I'm using Mail, for OSX 10.2.8, by the way.