Re: [hebrew] Re: Aramaic unification and information retrieval

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@mailaps.org)
Date: Thu Dec 25 2003 - 04:25:52 EST

    On Wed, 24 Dec 2003, Christopher John Fynn wrote:

    > BTW are the classical written languages of China & Japan more or less the
    > same thing?? I understand that the Chinese Buddhist canon is also used by
    > the Japanese without translation so I assume that there was (/is?) more
    > or less a common written language - at least for that kind of material.

      You can think of 'classical Chinese' as 'Latin/classical Greek' of
    East Asia. Up until 'recently', learned people in Japan, Korea (and
    presumably Vietnam perhaps until the 19th century) are well-versed at
    _classical_ written _Chinese_ just like learned Europeans were with
    Latin and classical Greek, which doesn't tell you anything about their
    proficiency in modern Greek. BTW, unlike classical Greek and Latin that
    are rather close to most European languages, classical Chinese is heavens
    apart from Japanese and Korean of any age. I guess Vietnamese is a lot
    closer to Chinese than J and K in most metrics.

      Buddhist canon may be a little different story. My understanding
    is that some of them are 'transcription' (not translation) of Sanskrit
    (or Tibetan) so that there's no point in translating.

      Jungshik