Re: unicode Digest V4 #3

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 13:23:15 EST

    From: "Michael Everson" <everson@evertype.com>

    > At 16:27 +0100 2004-01-05, Philippe Verdy wrote:
    >
    > >Why not then use the Latin ton six for all texts in that period, and
    allow
    > >glyph variants to show the I with right hook glyph used in early Latin
    > >Azeri?
    >
    > Because that wouldn't be right.

    Even if it's encoded with a variant selector after the latin tone six? As
    this is an historic variant of the letter which was then changed to Latin
    soft-sign during the first Latin period, I think it would allow "unifying"
    Azeri texts coded in Latin in 1923-1933 and in 1933-1939.

    Considering that Peter knows this language and has seen various forms for
    this character where the bottom hook slightly evolved with various placement
    of this hook, up to the point of becoming similar to the cyrilic soft-sign,
    I think it may be a good option (the 1933 reform may simply reflect a
    gradual evolution of the glyph actually used by people, and a way to use
    existing fonts made to write Russian texts in papers and books)

    Was there other uses of this i with lower-right hook in other languages or
    regions ?