Re: Latin letter GHA or Latin letter IO ?

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 17:37:21 EST

    On 05/01/2004 13:42, Kenneth Whistler wrote:

    >Peter Kirk wrote in response to Philippe Verdy:
    >

    >>But you do seem to have found a real problem with the standard. If the
    >>character name is not guaranteed to be an accurate means of
    >>identification of the character, and the glyph is not normative, how can
    >>I know from the standard that U+01A3 is intended to be this pan-Turkic
    >>gha, i.e. that that is its fundamental character identity, and that it
    >>is not in fact a character in some other even more obscure variant Latin
    >>alphabet which is actually named or pronounced "oi"? Of course the notes
    >>do help, as does the glyph, but these are not normative.
    >>

    >You know by making use of the standard, where the informative
    >notes (= gha, * Pan-Turkic Latin alphabets) were added precisely
    >to enable the proper identification.

    >When the combination of character name and representative
    >glyph and associated informative annotations is insufficient
    >to correctly identify a character in the standard, the
    >recourse is to Ask the Experts and request further annotation
    >of the standard to assist future users from running into the
    >same problem.
    >
    >--Ken

    Thank you, Ken.

    As you will see, I have requested precisely this clarification for
    U+0184/0185, to clarify that this letter is used in pan-Turkic alphabets
    as well as in Zhuang. I am also asking for a change in the reference
    glyph for U+0185, because in both Zhuang and pan-Turkic this should be
    much shorter, and distinguished from "b" primarily by its size.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)