Re: U+0185 in Zhuang and Azeri (was Re: unicode Digest V4 #3)

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 17:35:35 EST

    On 05/01/2004 14:12, jameskass@att.net wrote:

> [...]
    Yes, you are right, and using a very British hyperbole. The TUS 4.0
    glyph is quite simply incorrect. That is, it is incorrect for the
    Azerbaijani, Khakass and Nogai letter, and it does not make a proper
    distinction from the otherwise almost identical "b". The glyph should
    have the same height as most lower case letters. See
    http://www.writingsystems.net/languages/nogai/nogailatin.htm,
    http://www.writingsystems.net/languages/khakass/khakasslatin.htm,
    http://www.writingsystems.net/languages/azeri/azerilatin2.htm.

    >http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0180.pdf
    >Magnify U0180.pdf to 400% and put the row 0185 - 0195 - 01A5
    >towards the top of the screen so that the top of U+0185 touches
    >the screen area border. Note that the top of U+0185 aligns with
    >the top of U+0195, suggesting that these glyphs would have the
    >same height.
    >
    >In THE LANGUAGES OF THE WORLD by Kenneth Katzner (1975),
    >the example for Chuang seems to show a glyph covering U+0185
    >as you describe. (page 212)
    >
    >This page uses a scan from THE LANGUAGES OF THE WORLD
    >as its Chuang example:
    >http://www.worldlanguage.com/Languages/Chuang.htm

    In this Chuang text, the glyph is much shorter than that of "b" and so
    adequately distinguished, although still slightly higher than most lower
    case letters.

    I conclude that the same glyph can be used for Chuang and Azerbaijani,
    but it needs to be significantly shorter than the Unicode reference glyph.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)