Re: German characters not correct in output webform

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Tue Jan 13 2004 - 17:59:05 EST

    On 13/01/2004 13:35, Philippe Verdy wrote:

    >If your form page uses ISO-8859-1, then specify explicitly the ISO-8859-1
    >encoding as the one to use for submitting forms, as an explicit attribute of
    >your <form> element. But then visitors won't be able to send other
    >characters
    >than ISO-8859-1 in their form data, whever the form method is GET with
    >URL-encoding, or POST in standard form-data format.

    Is this actually true? Other characters can be entered into an
    ISO-8859-1 form in the format "&#nnn;"; or at least Mozilla 1.5 uses
    this format. I suspect this is what happened to me recently when I typed
    a schwa into a message in the webmail interface of a Yahoo group, and
    this appeared in my mail received from the group as "&#601;" - because
    the message source contained "&amp;#601;". The problem seems to be that
    the process reading the form data was not expecting this format and so
    took the & as a literal rather than as an escape.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)