Re: Cuneiform - Dynamic vs. Static

From: Deborah Goldsmith (goldsmit@apple.com)
Date: Tue Jan 13 2004 - 17:14:18 EST

    FYI, Panther was changed to not do font substitution in the user part
    of the PUA (it still does it in the corporate part). This was because
    different fonts can use the same PUA code point for different things
    (and do; this was not a hypothetical problem but one we have seen in
    practice). The idea going forward is that use of PUA code points needs
    to be accompanied by an explicit font specification. Picking the first
    font you find for a PUA code point does not seem like the right
    approach to us.

    Deborah Goldsmith
    Manager, Fonts / Unicode liaison
    Apple Computer, Inc.