Re: New MS Mac Office and Unicode?

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 12:11:02 EST

    On 14/01/2004 08:43, Stefan Persson wrote:

    > Aren't some RTL scripts such as Arabic and Hebrew already covered at
    > least partially by legacy Mac OS character sets? Is it possible to
    > display such characters in any current version of M$ Office for Mac?
    > If so, is the reading direction correct?

    As far as I can tell, there is no support for these scripts either in
    current versions of Mac Office or in the promised new one.

    It strikes me that some people are reading the announcement as if it is
    what they want to hear, rather than what it actually says. If this was
    the great step forward that everyone wants, surely Microsoft would be
    telling everyone loud and clear. They are of course saying that their
    new product is wonderful and what everyone is waiting for (who
    wouldn't?), but when you read the small print they are promising rather
    little, certainly not full Unicode support, not even full support for
    non-complex scripts.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)