Re: New MS Mac Office and Unicode?

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 12:28:15 EST

    At 09:11 -0800 2004-01-14, Peter Kirk wrote:

    >It strikes me that some people are reading the announcement as if it
    >is what they want to hear, rather than what it actually says.

    It strikes me that some people are wanting to see it as not being
    good enough because it's not as complete as they want. My view: Input
    beyond WorldScript? Huzzah!

    >If this was the great step forward that everyone wants, surely
    >Microsoft would be telling everyone loud and clear.

    No company tells all before release.

    >They are of course saying that their new product is wonderful and
    >what everyone is waiting for (who wouldn't?), but when you read the
    >small print they are promising rather little, certainly not full
    >Unicode support, not even full support for non-complex scripts.

    If they are permitting input via the "Unicode Hex Input" and "US
    Extended", then presumably it will allow input via the "Irish
    Extended" and "Devanagari-QWERTY" and "Arabic-QWERTY" keyboards. If
    it doesn't, there is something WRONG. If it does, and there are
    display issues regarding *rendering* of Devanagari or Arabic, that is
    a DIFFERENT issue, which Microsoft will address in due course, one
    expects.