RE: Re: New MS Mac Office and Unicode?

From: Han-Yi Shaw (hanyis@microsoft.com)
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 16:01:54 EST

    I'm glad some folks are reading me correctly. :-) After all, without
    being Unicode-throughout, I don't see how it'd be possible to support
    the 303 surrogates in the JIS X0213 standard like we do in Office 2004.
    :-)

    By "Unicode-throughout", we mean that MacOffice 2004 supports Unicode-
    input, storage, and rendering. In the past (e.g., MacOffice X), our
    apps only accepted characters in older encoding schemes, which then get
    converted to their equivalent 16-bit form (in Unicode encoding) for
    storage, after which are once again "downgraded" to MacRoman or
    MacJapanese before sending them to QuickDraw routines for rendering.

    In MacOffice 2004, this convoluted conversion process has been
    completely eliminated.

    Thanks,
    Han-yi