Re: Cuneiform - Dynamic vs. Static

From: Mark E. Shoulson (mark@kli.org)
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 21:20:26 EST

    I had a problem with this too, for a while (previous discussion on this
    list helped clear it up). Klingon letters had been placed in the PUA by
    the CSUR (ConsScript Unicode Registry, an unofficial allocation of PUA
    space to constructed alphabets), based on the PUA assignment of the
    Linux kernel, and a few of the letters overlapped some Adobe or Apple
    assignments, so documents would come out with ®'s and such all over it
    instead of letters. Assigning the font explicitly helped.

    I guess that's the problem with an inherently unregulated space like the
    PUA. You can say "well, I get to allocate it any way that I want, I'm
    using my own program," but you're not using *only* your own program.
    The OS, etc. may have other ideas.

    ~mark