Amazing Facts About Irish (was stupidly continuing as Re: Klingon)

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Thu Jan 15 2004 - 20:32:25 EST

    > > In Irish, however, initial digraphs like "tS" and "hO" and "gC" *are* a
    > standard
    > > part of the orthography, and constitute the normal capitalization
    > convention:
    > > words beginning thus are capitalized on the second letter, not the first.
    >
    > Interesting. I did not know that of Irish... And amazing. Is this convention
    > still respected by modern writers?
    >
    > I would have liked to see Michael exhibit this fact about Irish, a language
    > that he certainly better knows in his area of life.

    Sheesh! Philippe, just do the research yourself. Since Michael has
    bid thee adieu, you could look, for instance, to:

    http://www.evertype.com/gram/eachtrai-eilise.html

    which illustrates the "gC", as well as the forms you do know about,
    like "nGaeilge", "hAlice", and so on.

    Or if you don't trust Michael to exhibit this fact about Irish on
    his own site, you could try:

    http://www.litriocht.com

    which has the phrase: "Gach leabhar Gaeilge i gCló" listed at the
    top of its home page.

    > It's a shame that Michael translated and commented a French book about The
    > Breton Grammar, and did not see that the "gW" occurence that he found in
    > some other Breton books may simply be a typo for the normal "Gw"
    > capitalization rule.

    It wasn't, as he painstakingly explained to you. But I guess you
    know you are right, anyway. Oh well.

    --Ken