Re: Samaritan shan symbol

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Fri Jan 16 2004 - 16:37:56 EST

    At 04:33 -0800 2004-01-16, Peter Kirk wrote:

    >Michael, you seem to have written "shan" rather than "shin" twice
    >independently in the subject line, so presumably this is not a typo.
    >Do you actually hold that the letter is called "shan" rather than
    >"shin"? Do you have any evidence for this? Are you basing this on
    >the table at http://www.the-samaritans.com/script.htm? As this table
    >looks rather old, possibly copied from a 19th century book, it would
    >be good to check that these are the names in current use by the
    >Samaritan community.

    We have a number of sources for Samaritan character names, including
    a font made by a modern Samaritan.

    SAMARITAN LETTER ALAF
    SAMARITAN LETTER BIT
    SAMARITAN LETTER GAMAN
    SAMARITAN LETTER DALAT
    SAMARITAN LETTER IY
    SAMARITAN LETTER BA
    SAMARITAN LETTER ZEN
    SAMARITAN LETTER IT
    SAMARITAN LETTER TIT
    SAMARITAN LETTER YUT
    SAMARITAN LETTER KAF
    SAMARITAN LETTER LABAT
    SAMARITAN LETTER MIM
    SAMARITAN LETTER NUN
    SAMARITAN LETTER SINGAT
    SAMARITAN LETTER IN
    SAMARITAN LETTER FI
    SAMARITAN LETTER TSADIY
    SAMARITAN LETTER QUF
    SAMARITAN LETTER RISH
    SAMARITAN LETTER SHAN
    SAMARITAN LETTER TAF

    >Meanwhile the scholarly world, for whose benefit the LTR symbol is
    >being proposed, consistently refers to this letter as shin rather
    >than shan - although the SIL proposal of June 2003 for this
    >character avoided the problem by proposing the name SAMARITAN
    >PENTATEUCH SIGN.

    That may well be appropriate.

    >(I note that you are still awaiting a public reply to
    >http://www.the-samaritans.com/forum/display_message.asp?mid=388).

    We had a response from someone there offline with whom we are
    talking; but haven't heard from him again in a while. Another contact
    is going to do some library digging for us in Berkeley.