Re: Samaritan shan symbol

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Fri Jan 16 2004 - 20:01:35 EST

    At 03:09 PM 1/16/2004, Peter Kirk wrote:

    >If it is decided not to encode a separate Samaritan Pentateuch sign, I
    >would suggest giving an alternative name of "Samaritan shin" as well as
    >"Samaritan Pentateuch sign", to avoid confusing scholars who may use this
    >name. I also wonder if its use is strictly restricted to indicating the
    >Samaritan Pentateuch, or if it may sometimes be used to refer to other
    >Samaritan texts, or to the Samaritan script, dialect or religious
    >tradition more generally. I was trying to check whether any of the samples
    >in the SIL proposal have a wider reference, but scripts.sil.org is
    >currently offline.

    In BHS, the Samaritan shan/shin is used in isolation to indicate the
    Samaritan Pentateuch, but is used in combination with other symbols to
    indicate other Samaritan texts:

             @^Ms(s)^
                     codex manuscriptus (codices manuscripti)
                     secundum apparatum criticum Galli

             @^T^
                     Targum Samaritanum

             @^W^
                     Pentateuchi textus Hebraeo-Samaritanus
                     secundum polyglottam Londinensem B. Waltonii,
                     vol. I 1654

    All of these are related back to the Samaritan Pentateuch (the Targum is an
    idiomatic Samaritan-Aramaic translation), so this suggests to me that
    SAMARITAN PENTATEUCH SYMBOL is probably okay as a name. If other uses, not
    related to the Samaritan Pentateuch, are found, perhaps a more generic
    SAMARITAN TEXT SYMBOL or SAMARITAN SOURCE SYMBOL might be appropriate.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    What was venerated as style was nothing more than
    an imperfection or flaw that revealed the guilty hand.
                    - Orhan Pamuk, _My name is red_