Re: Collation charts out of date

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Fri Jan 30 2004 - 16:58:48 EST

    From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk@qaya.org>
    > On 30/01/2004 09:44, Kenneth Whistler wrote:
    >
    > >... The latter would be easier
    > >to implement, but then would lead to arguments among the
    > >perfectionists as to why "small capital" should be a secondary
    > >weight distinction when capital versus small is a tertiary
    > >weight distinction. And so on and so on...
    > >

    > Thank you, Ken. Well, this perfectionist is arguing why this should be a
    > PRIMARY weight distinction when capital versus small is tertiary,...

    I also agree that small capitals have a tertiary or quaternary differences,
    but it's not clear if they are a variant of lowercase when used as a font
    style for all letters, or of uppercase letters.

    So I bet they should have the same distinction as between lowercase and
    uppercase, so that case-insensitive collation (which ignores secondary
    differences) will work correctly even if tertiary and quaternary difference
    are kept to sort accents and other minor variants, probably by sorting small
    capitals between uppercase and lowercase letters at the same collation
    weight.

    The simplest way to allow tailoring is to map small capitals as secondary
    differences between uppercase and lowercase letters, and let a tailoring
    remap them in one simple operation to quaternary level, where a 1-weight gap
    has been left in quaternary collation weights to allow such remapping
    without needing shifts of weights.