Re: collation of small capitals

From: Eric Muller (emuller@adobe.com)
Date: Sat Jan 31 2004 - 17:55:16 EST

    Philippe Verdy wrote:

    >The most common use I have seen of small capitals is as a font style, where
    >they were used to represent lowercase letters (the uppercase letters being
    >presented with full-height style).

    It is not proper to encode English, French, ..., text that is eventually
    rendered using small capital glyphs using the characters U+1D00 ᴀ LATIN
    LETTER SMALL CAPITAL A and friends. One should use the "regular"
    letters, either uppercase (e.g. in acronyms and such) or lowercase (e.g.
    at the beginning of chapter) as appropriate. One way to choose between
    uppercase and lowercase is to consider what happens if only the
    uppercase and lowercase glyphs are available. The fact that those
    character occurrences are intended to be rendered using small cap glyphs
    does not change their identity.

    Conversely, the identity of the LATIN LETTER SMALL CAPITAL characters is
    closely connected to IPA, UPA and, more generally, phonetic texts.

    This is what TUS 4.0 is saying page 171, under "Typographic variants".

    Eric.