Re: interesting SIL-document

From: jcowan@reutershealth.com
Date: Tue Feb 03 2004 - 14:58:34 EST

    Peter Kirk scripsit:

    > John, your phonology isn't actually even reasonable. [eng] occurs
    > intervocally in words like hanger, singing. Whether this is syllable
    > initial depends on your analysis.

    Fair enough; but hang-er, sing-ing *is* the conventional analysis. English,
    generally speaking, defies the convention of preferring onsets to codas.

    > There are minimal pairs at the
    > syllable level between the British pronounciation of Birmingham (silent
    > h, stress on first syllable only)

    I think they say it that way in Alabama too, though they do not pronounce
    it as a monosyllable. :-)

    --
    John Cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com
    "If he has seen farther than others,