Re: Panther PUA behavior

From: Deborah Goldsmith (goldsmit@apple.com)
Date: Wed Feb 04 2004 - 16:20:16 EST

    On Feb 2, 2004, at 9:20 PM, Dean Snyder wrote:
    > I hope Apple re-thinks this, because it makes PUA useless in plain
    > text.

    Doing font substitution on PUA code points was causing problems,
    because we have found a lot of fonts have garbage entries in their
    cmaps in the PUA, due to the implementation details of certain
    font-editing applications (which use the PUA part of the cmap as a
    "scratch" area). The system was basically picking a random font in many
    cases. Rather than have a font substitution mechanism that picks a
    random font, we disabled font substitution for PUA characters.

    I agree this causes problems for things like file names in the Finder,
    but I worry whether that is an appropriate use of PUA characters. When
    Cuneiform is encoded, all these file names will have to be reentered.

    Deborah Goldsmith
    Manager, Fonts / Unicode liaison
    Apple Computer, Inc.
    goldsmit@apple.com