Re: Phonology [was: interesting SIL-document]

From: Curtis Clark (jcclark@mockfont.com)
Date: Thu Feb 05 2004 - 10:29:05 EST

    on 2004-02-05 03:54 John Cowan wrote:
    > Indeed. In fact, the first fuccative-insertion on record, laughably tame
    > by today's standards, is an American's: William Randolph Hearst said of
    > one of his reporters: "Tell Coates I said he is too inde-goddam-pendent!"

    I first heard of the expletive infix in the context of the "familiar
    speech" of the US Navy. My experience at Navy bases in later years
    suggests that the forms may have become ar-f***ing-chaic. (Did I divide
    that in the middle of a metrical foot?)

    Mockingbird Font Works                  http://www.mockfont.com/