Re: Character allocation

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Feb 10 2004 - 02:43:28 EST

    At 01:20 PM 2/7/2004, Laurentiu Iancu wrote:
    >I noticed that a new combining character, U+1DC2 Combining Snake Below, has
    >been added. Just out of curiosity, what were the reasons why this character
    >was allocated at this code point rather than, for instance, U+0358, the last
    >free position in the Combining Diacritical Marks block. Is it maybe based on
    >character frequency? Learning about allocation criteria helps me better
    >understand the structure of Unicode.

    The editors at one point had a draft allocation there and forgot that the hole
    opened up when that allocation was withdrawn.

    Thanks for pointing this out. All things being equal at this stage it is nice
    to close off any blocks where that can reasonably be done. As implementers will
    never have to revisit them again once they support such a block completely, it
    aids their work by limiting the effects of additional character to fewer
    blocks.

    For that reason alone, and for no other, it might be worthwhile to ask WG2 to
    move that character and close the 0300 block.

    A./