Character allocation

From: Laurentiu Iancu (iancu@ufl.edu)
Date: Sat Feb 07 2004 - 16:20:04 EST

    Greetings,

    I noticed that a new combining character, U+1DC2 Combining Snake Below, has
    been added. Just out of curiosity, what were the reasons why this character
    was allocated at this code point rather than, for instance, U+0358, the last
    free position in the Combining Diacritical Marks block. Is it maybe based on
    character frequency? Learning about allocation criteria helps me better
    understand the structure of Unicode.

    Thank you,
    Laurentiu