Re: (SC2WG2.609) New contribution N2705

From: jcowan@reutershealth.com
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 18:02:47 EST

    Philippe Verdy scripsit:

    > I see some similarities between the undetermined vowel tainting letter (the
    > subscripted x) and the leading star in the expression, used to denote an
    > undetermined infered historic letter. Shouldn't both use the same glyph with
    > just a distinct positioning? Could it be that the undetermined vowel tainting
    > letter be shown as a subscripted star ?

    No, no. The * does not mean "undetermined letter", it means "hypothetical
    reconstruction". It can also mean "erroneous or non-existent expression".
    In either case, it is a plain ASCII *.

    --
    John Cowan                                jcowan@reutershealth.com
    At times of peril or dubitation,          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan