Re: Fwd: Re: (SC2WG2.609) New contribution N2705

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 20:24:43 EST

    Peter Kirk said:

    > According to the Roadmap, the Phonetic Extensions block can already be
    > extended to cover 1D80-1DBF. I would suggest reserving this extension
    > block for subscript letters, which gives space for upper and lower case
    > subscript basic Latin alphabets and some extra characters.

    Too late for that already. 1D80-1DBF is already chockablock with
    phonetic symbols of far better claim to the space than subscript
    letters. See:

    http://www.unicode.org/alloc/Pipeline.html

    By the way, as an aside, whenever anyone on this list suggests
    that such-and-such should go in such-and-such a place in Unicode,
    it behooves you to check the book and then *also* check the
    pipeline page. There are already nearly a couple of thousand
    characters preliminarily encoded past the Unicode 4.0 repertoire,
    so don't expect that any particular position open in Unicode 4.0
    is available for encoding your favorite proposal.

    > There is
    > still a question of where subscript Greek letters might go; there is
    > just space for a lower case Greek alphabet in the Greek and Coptic
    > block, but this is not contiguous.
    >
    > Alternatively, let's leave all subscripting to markup.

    Hear, hear!

    --Ken