Re: Filenames with non-Ascii characters

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 21:33:05 EST

    Dipti Srivastava asked:

    > If I set my LC_TYPE to en_US.UTF8 do I need to convert the non-Ascii
    > characters like
    > '\' in the filename for functions like open, etc.

    '\' *is* an ASCII character. 0x5C in ASCII to be exact. It is
    also 0x5C in UTF-8, so no (other) conversion is required.

    UTF-8 is designed so that all ASCII characters (0x00..0x7F) have
    exactly the same values in UTF-8. This is precisely so that
    existing protocols and library functions will continue to work correctly
    with it for all ASCII character values.

    --Ken