Re: Filenames with non-Ascii characters

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine10646@Leca-Marti.org)
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 05:28:53 EST

    Kenneth Whistler wrote:

    > Dipti Srivastava asked:
    >
    >> If I set my LC_TYPE to en_US.UTF8 do I need to convert the non-Ascii
    >> characters like '\' in the filename for functions like open, etc.
    >
    > '\' *is* an ASCII character. 0x5C in ASCII to be exact. It is
    > also 0x5C in UTF-8, so no (other) conversion is required.

    Looks like the classic misunderstood about different charset (note that I do
    not have the original headers).

    I understand Dipti was really writing
    >> If I set my LC_TYPE to en_US.UTF8 do I need to convert the non-Ascii
    >> characters like '¥' in the filename for functions like open, etc.

    which is what he can see on his display.

    On the other hand, Ken saw (transformated in U+FF3C using presentation forms
    to make it unambiguous):

    >> If I set my LC_TYPE to en_US.UTF8 do I need to convert the non-Ascii
    >> characters like '\' in the filename for functions like open, etc.

    ... and reacted accordingly.

    Hope it helps. And hope that everybody use Unicode everywhere soonest as
    possible, but I know this is somewhat vain!

    Antoine