Re: New Public Review Issue

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 05:52:46 EST

    On 23/02/2004 15:33, Rick McGowan wrote:

    >The Unicode Technical Committee has posted a new issue for public review
    >and comment. Details are on the following web page:
    >
    > http://www.unicode.org/review/
    >
    >Review periods for the new item closes on June 8, 2004.
    >
    >Please see the page for links to discussion and relevant documents.
    >Briefly, the new issue is:
    >
    >-------------------
    >
    >30 Bengali Khanda Ta (Closes 2004.06.08)

    Although I don't know much about Bengali, my work on Hebrew and other
    languages leads me to think of other possible options beyond the four
    described in this document, which should be considered seriously if
    changes to the existing encoding model are being considered.

    The option < ta, ZWJ, virama > is mentioned in the document, but
    dismissed without proper argument although it would seem to me that this
    is a far more logical encoding than < ta, virama, ZWJ >. After all, the
    character in question can easily be understood as a ligature of ta and
    virama, but certainly not as ta followed by a ligature of virama with
    the following character. While I can understand the objection that this
    "involve[s] innovations into the general Indic encoding model", there
    does come a time when such innovations are preferable to kludges of the
    existing model. A recent UTC decision has removed the objection to this
    encoding that ZWJ should not be used within a combining character sequence.

    Another alternative which should be considered is use of a variation
    selector. These were apparently designed for situations like this where
    two characters are graphically distinct and perceived by the user
    community as distinct, but also have an underlying unity which should be
    preserved. In one sense this can be considered as like a new character,
    thus meeting the user community preference for model D, but it also
    meets the last objection to this model.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)